In this post, I’m going to explain to you how I fixed my Mighty Mouse after the ball wouldn’t scroll anymore. Maybe you have the same problem and this can help you solve it…
Be careful though: You may lose your warranty and/or break your mouse in the process. Don’t blame me — you alone are responsible for what you do, even if you decide to follow these instructions!
After using it for a few months, the scroll ball on top of Apple’s Mighty Mice works worse than in beginning — it may even stop working at all. Responsible for this is dirt that gets into the mouse and disturbs the sensors.
In the following video I explain how to take apart and clean a Mighty Mouse in order to fix a non-working scroll ball:
The single steps to reach the goal, as shown in the video, are:
- Switch the mouse off and take the batteries out, put the cap aside
- Cut the outer grey ring off the mouse with a sharp knife/scalpel
- Press down the two clips located on each side of the front (near the optical sensor) in order to “unlock” the mouse
- Remove the shell carefully (the two parts of the mouse are connected via two vulnerable cables)
- Loose the tiny clamps which hold the two cables, drag the cables out of them
- Get a precision screwdriver and unscrew the three screws which hold the tiny case with the scroll sensors inside of the shell
- Take the scroll ball’s case and open it
- Clean the ball, the four tiny magnetic stamps and the case
- Put everything back together
- Use hot glue/super glue to re-attach the grey ring
- Put the batteries back in, the cap on, switch the Mighty Mouse on
- There is no step 12. Everything should work fine again!
If you have any questions or suggestions (or corrections to make), feel free to leave a comment or drop me a line.
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Mighty Mouse reinigen wenn der Scrollball klemmt ✭ Frank Helmschrott pingbacked Posted May 3, 2008, 11:32 am
- Mighty Mouse problem - Mac-Forums.com pingbacked Posted October 24, 2009, 7:39 pm
- Reader Setup: Julian Schrader — Shawn Blanc pingbacked Posted January 23, 2011, 5:36 am
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.